Tuesday 28 January 2014

Week 3 - Urgent Action

I live in Cambridge, about 70Km from the sea and my house is just over 10m above sea level. Most of the fenland between my house and the sea is much lower.

The most recent example of an extreme weather event near me was the winter storm of 5 December 2013 when a combination of low atmospheric pressure, high tides and strong winds caused a major storm surge in the North Sea. Fortunately, I was not directly affected. Such storms can impact road, rail and electrical power distribution in addition to flood damage.

Another potential extreme weather event would be a prolonged summer heat wave like the one in 2003 which caused over 14,000 heat related deaths. Very few homes in the UK have air conditioning and are unprepared for such conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment