Friday 28 February 2014

Week 7 Reflection

Really interesting week.  As someone who has had a low energy renovation on my home I was particularly interested in the buildings chosen for their design by fellow students.  I spent ages going through the discussion entries for that section.  There were plenty I would like to visit but that would not be good for my carbon footprint!

One that I particularly liked was the Chilterns Gateway Centre suggested by Greg Baker.  That one should be near enough to visit.

I only saw the Channel4 "Restoration Man" programme episode on Thrum Mill by chance.  Very impressive what can be done with a relatively modest amount of money and huge amounts of effort and dedication!  Always good to see such an interesting building given a new lease of life.

Attended the last of the Adaptation to climate change seminar series by Professor Charlie Kennel.  You may listen to Prof Kennel's lectures and access the teaching material here.  This last seminar summarised the earlier seminars and went on to discuss how “Knowledge Action Networks” comprising international experts and local decision‐makers can foster informed and timely decisions at the regional and local levels. I feel extremely privileged living in Cambridge where I am able to attend such seminars at no cost and even have a free drink or two afterwards with some very interesting and distinguished audience members.

This week's major frustration was not being able to present my photographs of my building design example on a map using geotags.  I took the pictures, manually added approximate geotags to the pictures using geotag, set up a flickr account, uploaded the pictures but still couldn't get it to use the geotags embedded in the EXIF to do anything useful!  I did finally get a map created with a single geotag for all eleven pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment